How to Start YouTube Advertising
Learn How to Utilize YouTube Advertising to Grow Your Brand or Business!
YouTube Advertising will help promote your brand’s message, service and direct the viewer to the next steps with a call to action.
Understanding the needs of your customers will help drive the type of content you create, the tone of your messaging, and the experiences you offer. Once you have a sense of the journey your customers are on, it will be easier to figure out what kinds of videos they’d most appreciate.
The organizing principle called ICE—Information, Connection, Entertainment—lets you think about the role your videos will play in a customer’s daily life.
- People watch these videos for the latest updates, self-improvement, how-to instructions and decision-making help.
- People watch these videos to share with other users, to bond with their communities, and to react to friends’ suggestions.
- People watch these videos to get inspired, laugh, relax, be nostalgic and relieve boredom.
5 Tips For Creating Exceptional Youtube Advertising Videos:
- Include an Element of Surprise
- The problem with generic ads is that they make little to no impression on the viewer. They’re just noise. Remarkable ads break the mold. They surprise people when they diverge from the norm and, if executed well, are entirely unforgettable.
- Tug At Your Audience’s Heart Strings – The options here are endless—we humans have quite the range of emotional triggers—all you need to do is pick the one you want to evoke and begin building a story to incorporate it.
- Inspire Viewers to Take Action – One of the best ways to create ads that resonate with viewers is to present a serious problem and then show them that, by supporting your business, they can help to turn it around. Start by outlining the problem. Share gripping facts or testimonials, demonstrating the gravity of the issue. Then, pivot to show what your company is doing to eliminate this problem.
- Leverage Nostalgia – Never underestimate the power of nostalgia in marketing. The truth is, people have an emotional connection to their past and enjoy reminiscing on it. By infusing advertisements with “blasts from the past,” brands can tap into these emotions, causing people to feel more favorably toward their products.
- Be Different – When something’s out of the ordinary, it demands extra attention. Ever seen a David Lynch film? Or Birdman? Or Memento? They all present super weird, convoluted stories that just don’t seem to add up, causing you to walk out of the theater thinking “what the $%*# just happened?!” As a result, these movies stand out in our minds.
Since YouTube is owned by Google, YouTube’s Ad Manager works within Google Ads, recently known as Google Adwords. So to set up your YouTube video ads, you’ll have to sign into or make your own Google Ads Account. From that point, you’ll match up your YouTube Channel with your Ads account.
Using the Ads interface, you’re able to launch your ads, collect and monitor data across ad campaigns, utilize advanced targeting, and launch retargeting ads. Once you’re all set up, you can tap into the YouTube-specific advertising options available to you.
Here’s a brief overview of the main advertising options, and how each of them works.
TrueView advertisements, otherwise called in-stream promotions, are YouTube’s debut publicizing item. Working like a conventional business, TrueView promotions are skippable recordings that show up before the primary video a watcher chose – like customary TV ads, better since clients can skip them on the off chance that they aren’t intrigued. In opposition to what you may think like a sponsor, this is useful for both you and your planned clients; a group of onlookers individuals can skip promotions that aren’t important to them, and you possibly pay when they demonstrate intrigue, which is determined when a watcher navigates or goes through more than 30 seconds viewing your advertisement.
Source: Think with Google
Despite the fact that you have up to sixty seconds to tell a more drawn out, increasingly full story with a YouTube TrueView advertising, regardless you need to pack the initial six seconds with eye-catching substance. In case you’re ready to keep your watcher’s consideration, it satisfies.
According to Think with Google, viewers who watch TrueView ads for more than 30 seconds are 23 times more likely to visit or subscribe to the channel, watch more videos by the brand, or share the video.
TrueView advertisements enable you to alter your video with different CTAs and overlay content to move further activity with interactive catches and off-site interfaces, and have diverse alternatives relying upon your showcasing objective, similar to these beneath.
Kinds of TrueView Ads:
TrueView Reach Ads
Use TrueView Reach promotions to focus on your watchers dependent on most extreme impressions rather, charging by expense per thousand impressions rather than expense per-see. Best for: driving attention to your image.
TrueView Discovery Ads
Use TrueView Discovery promotions to demonstrate your advertisements on the YouTube indexed lists page, like Google look promotions, or to appear beside related recordings rather than before them. Best for drawing in crowds who may think about purchasing.
TrueView Action Ads
Use TrueView Action promotions to include a catch specifically into your video that drives your imminent clients to click out to your site. Best for: nurturing leads to take purchase actions.
Bumper ads on YouTube are short video ads limited to six seconds long. These ads typically play before the actual video a viewer decides to watch on YouTube, like the previews at the beginning of a movie when you go to the theater – only super short – and are made available as an add-on to traditional campaigns.
Bumper ads are relatively simple and are a good way to capture your audience’s attention, especially when that audience is viewing on mobile. On their own, Bumper ads are probably not long enough to make up a complete video advertising strategy but work well when paired with a longer, more robust video campaign to coincide with a new product launch or a marketing push aimed at raising brand awareness.
Here are just a few of the targeting options YouTube offers:
- Audience Demographics: Target by gender, age, location, parental status, or household income.
- Audience Interests: Target by topics of interest, like sports, fashion, gaming, etc.
- Audience Affinity: Target by customized audiences with specific interests tailored to your brand.
- Audience Life Events: Target by purchasing behavior and brand preference shifts due to life milestones like moving, graduating or getting married.
- Audience In-Market: Target by searches for products or services similar to those you offer.
- Audience Retargeting: Target your video content based on past interactions, website behavior, and more using customized lists created automatically via Google Ads.
The best part about video advertising on YouTube is that keywords are significantly less expensive than on Google. Views from advertising on YouTube cost an average of $0.05 per click, while the average Google keyword between $1-2. Add in the ability to directly target customers with your video ads based on their previous searches, and you have a winning advertising platform.
YouTube Advertising Success Stories:
Retail: Tuft & Needle
“We’ve definitely seen an impact with YouTube. We started our company five years ago with just $6,000. We did $100 million in sales last year and about a million people will be sleeping on a Tuft & Needle mattress by year’s end. We believe that we’ll be able to continue scaling our company to the size we can become using YouTube the entire way. We absolutely feel like we’re living the American dream.”
Daehee Park and JT Marino, Founders, Tuft & Needle
Travel: Majestic Heli Ski
“You know, you say a picture is worth a thousand words? Video is worth a million. They see the lodge, the dinners, the skiing – and they get it. Plus, YouTube leveled the playing field by allowing me to reach customers that would otherwise look at some of the more established businesses. That’s helped us boost our customer base by more than 400% over the last five years and increase sales by around 25% each year since starting on YouTube. So we know our marketing dollars are well spent.”
Njord Rota, Owner, Majestic Heli Ski
YouTube user statistics
- 6 out of 10 people prefer online video platforms to live TV.
- By 2025, half of viewers under 32 will not subscribe to a pay-TV service
- In an average month, 8 out of 10 18-49 year-olds watch YouTube
- In 2015, 18-49 year-olds spent 4% less time watching TV while time on YouTube went up 74%
- On mobile alone, YouTube reaches more 18-49 year-olds than any broadcast or CABLE TV network
- You can navigate YouTube in a total of 76 different languages (covering 95% of the Internet population)
- The platform has also launched in over 88 countries
- Daniel Middleton, better known as DanTDM, is the highest earning YouTuber, bringing in $16.5m in 2017
- YouTube is the world’s second largest search engine and third most visited site after Google and Facebook
- We watch over 1 billion hours of YouTube videos a day, more than Netflix and Facebook video combined
- More than half of YouTube views come from mobile devices
- The average mobile viewing session lasts more than 40 minutes
- The time people spend watching YouTube on their TV has more than doubled in the last year
Now that you know more about how Youtube Advertising can take your business to the next level. How are you going to start?
Begin your successful video campaign by understanding your objective. Define your core message and tone. Ensure that your videos meet your brand goals. Find the best ways to engage your intended audience.
Ask yourself what your brand stands for—what are the passions that will drive its success? At the same time, ask yourself what your customers care about in their daily lives. Find the point where your brand’s passions overlap with your audience’s concerns. At that intersection lies something unique you can bring your fans to earn their loyalty.